Read more: Ukhozi FM Top 10 Songs Stir Up Debate
The problems between Owen and Ukhozi are far from over and he proved that his bite is bigger than his bark when the radio station went on to announce their top 10 despite being asked not to.
Now, all his efforts to stop the countdown from even taking place this year again seem to be in full effect. Daily Sun is reporting that Owen Ndlovu has slapped Ukhozi FM with a letter of demand so they can scrap their Song Of The Year countdown. The radio station supposedly has to do this by the 27th of December, just four days before the initial countdown is expected to play.
He claims that the voting system was his idea and that Ukhozi did not buy it from him as they claimed to have done so before, “…the SABC was nowhere to be found and now they are continuing to use my idea to exploit their listeners. The winner of the competition won nothing. When I was part of the competition artists like Mroza Fakude won cars,” he told the publication.
The drama started last year as the 2019 Song of the Year chart show didn’t end up playing on Ukhozi FM due to the ongoing drama between the station and MO Production. Ukhozi FM had terminated the services of MO Production, but still continued using their concept without compensating them. This company, in particular, was responsible for running the New Year’s Eve Song of the Year chart for the station.
Now, after the most listened radio station in the country announced this years top 10 on Saturday December 19, Owen Ndlovu is adamant on taking them back to court. According to Daily Sun Owen Ndlovu wants Ukhozi FM to announce their top 10 as per the song charts and leave the voting system alone as it was his idea.
He told the publication that the radio station plays the top 20 songs every weekend without the public voting for it. Now, in a bid to exploit it’s listeners, they continue using his concept where voters spend R1.50 per SMS to vote for a particular song as many times as they can.
It has also come to the publications knowledge that this year, artists will not be getting a cent from the proceeds whereas the radio station will allegedly rake in millions of Rands.
SABC’s acting spokeswoman Mmoni Seapolelo told Daily Sun “There’s no monetary reward to the winning artist. There’s no partnership in place for the artists to receive any money.”
Owen vows to fight tooth and nail this year so the top 10 songs will not be announced, “The station can’t continue with my concept without me. It wants to rob listeners of their money. I warn listeners to not vote and waste their money because the Top 10 will not be played. I also warn artists to not campaign,” he told the publication.
Read next: Somizi Treats Vusi Nova’s Eye
Picture credit: Twitter/ @ukhozi_fm